The Elgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO) invites applications for the position of Music Director. Application deadline is October 30, 2021.
The ESO seeks specific leadership characteristics in its next Music Director. These attributes include:
First-rate musicianship and excellent artistic results: Provides exciting performances, effective rehearsals, stylistic accuracy, and musical integrity; capable of taking the orchestra and its musicians to the highest possible artistic level.
Artistic vision: Articulates clear and broad programming vision, in the short and long term, able to program in a balanced fashion that includes both traditional and new or lesser-known music; builds trust with all constituencies, leading to audience growth.
Effective ambassador to the community: Willingly and eagerly engages in donor cultivation and fundraising, advocates for ESO with press and community groups, and works with students and seniors.
Appreciation of orchestral finances and structure: Works creatively to develop compelling programs within budget parameters; understands and works within managerial and Board structures, and union contract specifications.
Respectful collaborator, communicator, and consensus builder: Confident, reliable and courteous in rehearsals; collegial rapport with musicians and administrative staff; sensitive accompanist to soloists; cultivates mutual respect; communicates positively to both internal and external constituencies.
Musical and organizational leadership skills: Proven record of artistic growth and overall effectiveness; networks within the music world to bring talented guest conductors and soloists to the ESO.
The specific duties and responsibilities of the Music Director of the Elgin Symphony Orchestra are as follows:
- Conducts Classics concerts, and a to-be-determined number of Specials/Pops, summer, and community concerts,
- Delivers pre-concert talks for all Classics concerts that (s)he/they conduct(s),
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Artistic Planning & Operations and the orchestra’s Artistic Advisory Committee to develop all Classics programming, on time and within budget, and to select appropriate guest conductors and soloists for Classics concerts,
- Respects the terms of the union contract with the musicians,
- Attends all final round auditions,
- Reports to the CEO,
- Attends Board meetings when present in Elgin,
- Collaborates with Board and ESO staff on determining artistic vision,
- Collaborates with CEO to help ensure the orchestra’s success and viability,
- Collaborates with the Director of Development to lend his/her/their presence and leadership to significant fundraising opportunities,
- Collaborates with the CEO and ESO staff to contribute ideas for marketing ESO offerings, and
- Fully utilizes time in Elgin for the good of the Orchestra.
The Music Director will provide strong leadership for the organization within the parameters of its structure, while working with the many stakeholders within the ESO and in the Elgin community.
Please send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter and Resume with current contact information
- Links to three videos clearly showing you conducting a concert or rehearsal
- Five References with contact information
- Concert Programming Samples for one Classics Concert, one Holiday Concert, one Education Concert for grades 3-5, and one Collaborative Community Concert
Only applications submitted online will be considered. Please do not send hard copies of materials. DVDs, VHS tapes, CDs, etc. will not be reviewed.
Elgin Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
The ESO is now accepting applications for internships for the 2022 summer season. To apply, please send a resume to email@example.com no later than April 30, 2022.
If you are interested in joining the Volunteer Program for the 2021-22 season, please complete the 3-page application below. Applications are accepted year-round.
Please submit the completed application to the Elgin Symphony Orchestra administrative office
Mail: Elgin Symphony Orchestra, 20 DuPage Court, Elgin, IL 60120
There are no auditions scheduled at this time. Check back next year!